Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Game 57

Final Score:

Boston Red Sox 1, San Diego Padres 0


The Padres make their first-ever appearance at Fenway and Pedro goes 8 innings giving up only two hits...I love it. I was at Yankee Stadium (thanks to my friend Mike, to whom I give enormous props) watching the Rockies struggle to hit any of Javier Vasquez's pitches and discovering that Mariano Rivera's theme music is "Enter Sandman" (which I think is very appropriate - the only player who scares me as much as Rivera does when he comes in is Dennis Eckersley in his prime). Throughout the game Mike and I were watching the out-of-town scoreboards, tracking the shut out as it happened ("well, it's still 0-0 in the 4th...in the 5th...in the 6th...", etc.). Finally, right around when the Yankees brought in Rivera, I called Alan back in Boston to get an update...just as Damon doubled in Kapler. Nothing like doing a little dance of joy in a ballpark full of hostiles, I tell ya.

And tonight, joy of joys, Part 1 of The Great Return, broadcast on ESPN so I can take part in the full power and majesty of 35,000 people screaming their lungs out (well, as reproduced by my TV, anyway). YANKEES SUCK!