Friday, March 04, 2005

Grapefruit League

I watched the Red Sox last night! Thanks to the magic of technology (free mlb.tv) and the blessings of warm air (spring training in Florida), Robin (of course) and I sat in my living room and watched the game broadcast on my laptop. I confess a shiver when I first turned on the game; Robin was something more like giddy for a good 45 minutes. The Sox won their first outing of the year, against the Twins, 4 - 3 in the pouring rain, prompting Robin to comment that the Sox now had a nine game winning streak.

Highlights of the night: seeing Matt Clement, Edgar Renteria, Adam Stern and Jay Payton for the first time in a Sox uniform. Clement had pretty good outing; one unearned run over two innings, thanks to a goof by the centerfielder. Adam Stern looked impressive in the field and on the base paths, as did Payton. When Renteria came up, I made a joke about him hopefully not hitting any choppers back to the mound, leading to more THE RED SOX WON THE WORLD SERIES! celebrations. Youlk and Varitek also were also had big appearances on the field, much to our delight and we got a glimpse of Big Papi in the dugout.

My next question is whether or not to subscribe to mlb.tv. It's about $80 for the season, which is a hefty chunk of change, but it works pretty well and you get NESN and the pleasure of Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo. My other thought had been the MLB Extra Innings package, but I'm not sure where you subscribe for that or how much it costs. GO SOX!!!