Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Winter Doldrums


Not much going on this week for the Sox, besides signing the future to one year deals, designating Pet-a-Guy for assignment (remember the big uproar in the blog world when the Sox didn’t give him much playing time? Where’s that uproar now?) to make room on the 40 man roster for the new Gonzo and making another half-hearted attempt to deal Manny to the Angels. Speaking of Gonzo, former manager Jack McKeon calls Gonzalez “the best I ever had.” By which he means, “the best I've ever had, defensively.” Nice try Jack – you almost had me believing that the Sox managed to snag a Miggy replacement on the down low.

Does anyone believe that the slick promotional video designed by the Red Sox front office to lure Roger Clemens back to Boston actually exists? I mean are there really Sox fans out there that would get down on their knees on video and beg the Rocket to come back? And if it works, does that mean Roger really is a sentimental fool and not the smug, self-promoting bastard we’ve all hated for the past 10 years? I can imagine the reconciliation scene now and it involves the Rocket pleading forgiveness (“I’m sorry I left you like that, baby, all those other women and the championships I won in New York, they meant nothing to me I swear, I only love you”), Sox fans taking him back (after all, can you really say no to the Devil when he’s got a 1.87 ERA and a 1.01 WHIP at age 43?) and Roger laughing all the way to the bank. On the plus side, if the deal does go through and Roger comes back to Boston, Bill Simmons' reaction should be beyond hilarious.