Sunday, January 28, 2007

Drew: Can't Live With Him, Can't Replace His Shoulder With A Servo

Woo, J.D. Drew's shoulder-hanging-by-a-thread throwing arm and his "patient bat" really will be playing in Boston next year. That's right: the deal that was done back on December 5 really is done, like, for reals, after working out some "minor issues." You know, like his shoulder falling off mid-swing on Opening Day. According to the Globe, the resolution to those minor issues is that Drew gets the first two years scot-free, but problems in the third year plus means cancellation of the contract after three years. Not bad, but that could very well mean three years of pain for RSN and Mr. Drew sitting in the sun doing his best Carl Pavano impression. Or it could be five years of hitting super awesomeness and fielding fairly decent awesomeness like the front office is promising.

Frankly, I don't think there's much of a choice here - Nixon's gone, the free agent pool is empty, Wily Mo doesn't seem to be the big time material quite yet and trading for someone means trading one of the young guns (which Robin will discuss in a future post). We're stuck with J.D. because someone needs to man the far reaches of right field and backup Coco Crisp when he misses a dive and the ball heads into the triangle and to spot for the Captain in the five hole in the lineup. I take a very realistic philosophy about baseball, because I know the best I can do is rail about it with my friends or in this blog and know that no one of consequence to the decision making is listening, because they've made up their minds. I'm willing to give Drew a shot, because I have no choice - and I'll give him his fair chance, too - but my jaw won't drop if Wily Mo is starting in right field starting in June.