Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Memories of Yankee Stadium

Inspired by what (we hope) will be Boston's final trip to this iteration of Yankee Stadium and this thread on SoSH, a few of the memories that come to mind from my trips to what DC once called "Hitler's Blue Toilet Bowl." Feel free to add your own reminiscences in the comments...
  1. June 9, 2002: My first trip to the Stadium. Alan and I make the drive down from Boston to see Barry Bonds hit dingers off of Roger Clemens, in a matchup that today might be called the Battle of the Ass Injections. No homers to be had, unfortunately; Clemens gives Bonds three intentional walks and a hit by pitch but wins the game. The next day, someone in the Giants organization (manager Dusty Baker, I believe, but I could be wrong) calls Clemens "Roger the Dodger."
  2. June 30, 2004: A friend of mine from college, a Yankee fan who grew up in southeastern Massachusetts, also lives in Brooklyn; I go to a number of games with him over the course of 2004 and 2005, including one where we sneak down to field boxes in left field and I marvel at how close home plate looks from 350-odd feet. On the night in question, I went to the Stadium wearing hat and jersey, figuring I'd be safe (we were sitting in the dry section of the bleachers). The Sox lose badly; on the way out, Yankee fans tell me that my beard and long hair make me look like Johnny Damon.
  3. Some time in 2004 or 2005: Yankee Mike, who has season ticket connections, invites my then girlfriend/now wife (a Yankees fan) and I to a game against the Devil Rays. The Rays did their usual roll over and die act, so it wasn't much of a game, but before the game we ate in the Stadium Club for the best culinary experience I've ever had at a ball game. The roast beef at the buffet made up for all of the times I had to walk around the Stadium instead of walking past the Stadium Club entrance.
  4. April 28, 2005: The first stop on the Alan Bachelor Party Tour, a five day, five game run of New York (Yankee Stadium), Washington, Baltimore, Philly, and New York (Shea). The Angels beat the Yankees; during "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," a gentleman behind us changes "If they don't win it's a shame," to "If they don't win it's cuz they suck," a modification I've tried to keep alive to this day.
[With thanks to Joy of Sox for the SoSH link]