Monday, February 26, 2007

Goodbye, DJ

Yes, Dennis Johnson passed away last week, but we needed time to put together a proper eulogy...time to bring back another post from the great DC.

Like most people my age, I am old enough to remember Dennis Johnson playing basketball but I am too young to remember just how great he was at playing basketball. When he was winning titles I was just a kid, with no control over the remote, a bedtime well before playoff games ended, and a life that was far too young to care. So this week when DJ passed away I was shocked (as you always are when someone dies too young) and sad simply because, as my brother put it when he called to discuss DJ: “It’s always sad when one of the ‘banner numbers’ dies.” But I wasn’t deeply affected like when Teddy Ballgame died or will be when Larry Legend finally taps out. Then I saw the story on Sports Center, I saw the steal against the Pistons a few hundred times and I realized that I kept getting chills. Then I heard one telling quote from Larry “The Basketball Jesus” Bird that made me rethink the whole thing. That simple quote… “DJ was the best I ever played with.” Finally, I read Sports Guy’s article about DJ and suddenly I realized a couple of things.

First, everyone in the media is right, the fact that this guy isn’t in the Hall of Fame is terrible and the fact that he wasn’t even a finalist this year is even worse.

Second, I should be sad about his passing. Every Boston sports fan old enough to remember DJ on the court, even if those memories aren’t vivid, should be sad about this. Sure he wasn’t Bird, Parrish or McHale…he was just the one getting them the ball.

Third, the clip of that steal against the Pistons will always give me chills regardless of how many times I see it. I don’t know if it’s because Bird’s steal was ridiculous or because DJ’s hoop was SO much more difficult than people realize, or if it’s because of Johnny Most making the call with that awesome voice. But regardless…CHILLS every time!

And finally, I really wish I was 5 years older so that I could have vivid memories of DJ leading possibly the greatest team in the history of basketball. Maybe then I would fully realize the sadness I should be feeling right now.

Rest in peace DJ. And don’t worry, you’ll get the recognition you deserve some day.