Sunday, May 21, 2006

Game 40: “Big Stick” Beckett

Final Score:

Boston Red Sox 8, Philadelphia Phillies 4


You might want to pitch around this guy.

Ok. I am not going to lie to you. I really really really like Josh Beckett. I’m not sure if it’s because of his fiery attitude on the mound, the way he mows down even the toughest batters, the grit he gets from eating scrap metal and jalapenos or some combination of the above… but I think he freaking rocks. So when a guy like that does what he did tonight, well I get a little weak in the knees.

It looked like one of “those” games. You know the ones I mean… great pitching but garbage offence. Beckett pitched awesome (7 innings, 6 hits, 3 ER, 4 K) but the Sox were being dominated by Brett Myers. In the 6th inning, Beckett goes a little nuts. At the plate with a man on (lovin the NL), the big Josh says “You no help me now, I say, f*** you Jobu, I do it myself.” He then hits a CLUTCH RBI single and starts a 4 run rally. Still not satisfied, Poppa Beckett gets up in the 7th and hits a TOWERING homerun (second of his career and first from a Sox pitcher since 1972) and gets the silent treatment from the rest of the team before they mob him in the dugout. This guy is a beast and it would have been even better for him if not for the 8th inning. Against all logic, Francona sends him out there even though he was already at 90+ pitches. Then defensive replacement J.T. Snow* botches a grounder at first that made thousands of Sox fans groan “Youk or Ortiz woulda had that.” After that there was a walk and a shocking 3 run bomb to Ryan Howard. Finaly Tavarez comes in to stop the bleeding. 3 runs score that inning (only 2 earned) and Beckett gets an unfair addition to his ERA, but still gets his 6th win.

Along with JB’s amazing production, Gonzo raised his .200 batting average and hit a 2 run blast of his own. Eric even quipped that the homer from Gonzalez was more shocking than the one from Beckett. Dingers from the pitcher and the fielder? What a night.

Now the Sox are going for the sweep with DiNardo vs Lidle. Ol’ DiNards better get his fill of starting now because David Wells has his big rehab start and could be back in the rotation by Friday. Wait… is that even true? Wells pitching for the Red Sox again? I’ll believe it when I see it. SO SOX!

*Look J.T. I am going to tell you the same thing I told Willie Harris. You have ONE JOB! When you screw it up you make yourself completely useless. I know you want more AB’s and you might want a trade, but not playing a good first base when all you can DO is play a good first base… well… then you are tits on a bull Mr. Snow.