Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Coming Soon: David Ortiz, The Book

A few days ago, a representative from the company that's publishing Big Papi's upcoming memoir emailed us and asked us if we wanted to review the book, which hits the streets on April 17. Despite the rather unassuming title (Big Papi: My Story of Big Dreams and Big Hits - I would have gone with something badass like David Ortiz: The Kratos of Baseball), we agreed to take a look at the book because, if nothing else, reading up on Ortiz's take on life sounded like fun. The publishing rep was nice enough to send us an excerpt beforehand; here's a quick taste of the style (excerpt copyright 2007 by David Ortiz with Tony Massarotti):
Seriously, bro, I'm not joking. Every time I go someplace where the peopel have never met me before, they all tell me the same thing: I look fatter on TV. I'm a big dude - I'm six foot four and between 255 and 260 pounds - but I try to take pretty good care of myself. In baseball, you have to. Like most guys, I'm in the weight room a lot during the season and I try to eat right, but I'm a big dude. Even my teammates give me sh*t about it sometimes. But I wear a really big uniform that must make me look fat on TV, so every time I meet someone for the first time, they look surprised that I'm not this big, fat guy.

I always joke with them: "Who do you think I am, Kevin Millar?"

(Trust me, bro. Millar would say the same thing about me.)

I have a feeling this book will be a pretty awesome read.