Monday, April 02, 2007

Twas the Night Before Season's Start…

I can’t sleep because tomorrow is opening day. Is that strange? Is it abnormal that I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve? I know I’ve been good (good enough) and presents are coming by the truck load, but the anticipation is just too much. I feel like I’m about to be shot out of a cannon. It’s just baseball, right? I shouldn’t miss precious rest because I am chomping at the bit for that first pitch.

Stranger still is that my insomnia is not all from eagerness and excitement. I have this slight fear that is associated with my personality and the beginning of the Red Sox season. I know that my nights (and some afternoons) are pretty much “booked” for the next few months. My mind will now be 75% to 99% preoccupied with the Sox from here on out. My priorities will now be completely skewed towards baseball until Halloween. Isn’t it scary how resigned I am to that fact?

Hopefully my friends, family and job (HA) can get used to this again. Some find this side of me to be endearing, others… well… it can build rifts. I guess we will need to learn to deal with this situation just like last season.

All I know for sure is that tomorrow at 4:10 Eastern time, Curt Schilling will be pitching against Gil Meche in Kansas City. It counts, it’s real, and it’s about time. I can’t wait.