Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Game 145: Mucking the Stalls

Finals Score:

Boston Red Sox 0, Baltimore Orioles 4


Welcome back Tim Wakefield. The place is just like you left it. No runs for you to worry about, more injuries than you could shake a broken rib at, and big losses to under .500 teams. Yeah the unearned runs are new… but I think they really bring the room together.

Bedard was unstoppable. Mowing down sox hitters like a scythe through so much wheat. Wait… no… more like a farmhand digging crap out of the stables. That works better. Conversely (or concavely?) Wake wasn’t too sharp on his first day back (10 hits in 5 innings) and the defense wasn’t helping him any. Gonzo and Belli helped put a bad game into a new realm of awful.

Days like this makes you want to think about the future. What will next year hold? In the last post I commented about how I don’t think some folks are going to be back. I don’t think everyone agreed, but I think I can make some compelling cases.

Timlin: Over the hill? More like OLD as the hills. The WBC may have put the coffin in the ground, but the nails were already pounded in.

Clement: Will ONLY be around if they can’t find a sucker to take him. Picking him up was the worst decision since Custer said “I ain’t scared a no Injun”. Come on, you telling me he wouldn’t look good in a Royals uniform?

Foulke: Depends on his health and the money, but I’m thinking both will be too complicated to deal with. I loved you in 2004. Don’t look at me like that. Let’s move on.

Loretta: Maybe. He’s preformed great in the 2 slot and is a wiz on defense, but Pedroia is ready and needs to start some time. Besides Loretta won’t go for another 1 year deal. It’s about bucks people.

Trot: The ship has sailed on this dirtdog. Wily Mo is primed to take his spot in the outfield and the lineup. Godspeed wherever you may end up Trotski.

Gonzo and Cora: Meh… they both can’t hit, both CAN field and both are primed to be replaced by a knee-jerk reaction trade or signing. I bet one OR the other is wearing different laundry next year. Besides, you can’t have 2 guys in the infield with the same first name. That’s just confusing.

Lowell: Had a great year (MUCH better than advertised) but what can we expect for a guy as old as he is and one year removed from one of the WORST performances ever? I am thinking the front office dangles him and the last year of his contract as trade bait.

Keep in mind that this isn’t what I WANT to happen, but what I think WILL happen. How will they replace the entire infield? Beats me. Trades? Calling up the young guys? Who knows? I just think these guys are expendable or already gone… they just haven’t been told yet. Feel free to tell me how crazy I am.

Back to the matter at hand, let’s end this series with O’s on a good note. DiNards is back (but I bet he won’t be next year) and is going to TRY and not suck in the finale. Good luck. Go Sox.