Saturday, September 23, 2006

Game 154: You’ve got to be kidding me

Final Score:

Boston Red Sox 7, Toronto Blue Jays 1


Ok, let me get this straight: Julian Tavarez threw a complete game (one run no less) for the win over Toronto. This is the guy I called a “pox marked psycho” and “Manny’s friend from prison”. Are we sure this is the same guy? Didn’t Tavarez punch a wall before the 2004 playoffs and then punch a player before the 2006 season… both for questionable if not moronic reasons? This is the same guy right?

How does this happen? Do teams decide who is “more done” before the game starts? Do managers get together and work out who should have an amazing day on a spreadsheet before the players take the field? Did Tavarez have his number come up today, or did he threaten to stab someone?

I am just a bit taken aback. I am stunned that this castaway from the bullpen was able to pull something like this together. It almost makes me wish that the season wasn’t 100% down the tubes and that the Sox had a chance to continue the season into October. Oh well. I guess I just have to enjoy what I’m stuck with. An amazing win by Tavarez (with help from the defense and divine intervention I’m sure) should be enough to pacify the shaken nerves of a downtrodden fan.

Next up is some AA guy I have almost never heard of (Hansack? HandySnack? Ramsack?) vs Burnett and his huge salary. Good thing he doesn’t pitch with his wallet. Go Sox.