Sunday, September 17, 2006

Games 147-148: Can I get a witness?: Masochist’s edition.

Final Scores:

Game 147: Boston Red Sox 5, New York Yankees 2
Game 148: Boston Red Sox 5, New York Yankees 7

........................photo

I called my father as soon as I stepped off the D train at Yankee Stadium.

“I feel like Job.” I told him.

It seemed apt. When I had first made these plans to see this double header (thanks again Mike) the race was close. Hell, the Red Sox had a 3 game lead and looked like they were about to step into a groove. That groove turned out to be a rut. The SOX gave and the SOX taken away.

Now I must endure the trials before me. The pain, suffering and anguish and in the end STILL profess love for a team that seems to have forsaken my devotion. Sundered dreams fading away as I clutch them to my chest. Even worse, I must bare witness to this misery in the home of my enemy. I must watch, my depression hidden, as my champions are victimized by a group of ner-do-wells while the pinstriped zealotry laughs in malicious triumph.

So I had a feeling this could suck.

All in all, this series means very little. The Yankees are too far ahead to be in real trouble and the Sox are too far out of the wild card race to have a real shot. It’s been this way for weeks… so will the bad blood even be a factor?

Ummm… yeah. Papi’s comments on the whole MVP thing (as misquoted and taken out of context as they were) have made him persona non grata in Yankeeland. Even A-Rod wasn’t booed as bad as he got it today. Fans screamed their heads off, chanting “JETER, JETER, JETER” and “BOSTON SUCKS” and etc., etc., etc. Funny thing is, the lack of Manny in the lineup affected Ortiz more than all that ruckus. He was 2-2 (2 doubles), but was walked 3 times. I guess Wily Mo isn’t much in the way of protection. In fact, we wagered on who would have more strikeouts Wily or Wang (push at 3 a piece).

But today it was about the rest of the team (see: scrubs) stepping up and helping Beckett get his 15th win. Murphy, Belli and Hinske all had big hits in the win. The bullpen’s lackluster performance (I now watch Foulke and Timlin with my hands over my eyes) was just enough to finish it out. I can’t believe it! They won!

But unfortunately, that’s where my ride stopped. I had some unforeseen work things to do in the PM, and my friends were taking off, so the second game wasn’t graced with my presence. Evidently, that was quite fortuitous for me.

Tavarez got rocked JUST slightly less hard than Johnson, but the Sox pen found a way to lose thanks to combined crap efforts from Hansen and Breslow. To top things off, Wily Mo managed to hurt himself in the 9th inning. Wow, am I glad I didn’t stick around to see this one. It would have been brutal for my already bloodied and ravaged soul. Dodged a bullet.

Tomorrow is another endurance test. Again with the day/night double header? Why must we face these trials? Lucky for me I share this duty with Eric. As a special treat, he will be in attendance behind enemy lines to view the same spectacle I witnessed. Why do we do this you ask? Why do we subject ourselves to this torture? Because we’re SOX NATION. And besides…. We got no place else to go! GO SOX (have fun Eric).