Friday, August 11, 2006

Game 114: Triumphant Return

Final Score:

Boston Red Sox 9, Baltimore Orioles 2

Damn, I go away for 10 days and the entire team falls to crap. What happened? Five losses in a row, getting swept by the Royals, of all teams, Robin bleeding from the ears with rage, cats and dogs living together in harmony…it’s nuts and I’m glad I missed it.

Anyway, I’m back and clearly couldn’t have picked a better night to re-up my half of the blog coverage: David Wells pitches seven strong innings, scatters seven hits and a walk for one run. Kyle Snyder comes in from the bullpen to assume the role shakily held by both of the Wonder Twins earlier this year, taking the final two innings in relative stride. The Sox take the 1 – 0 lead in the first, then explode in the third with a fist-full of singles and a triple to take an 8 – 0 lead. The Sox start their slide recovery out right as New York drops their second game in a row, losing to the Angels tonight. Heck, even Dave Wallace is back. I’m feeling pretty good about all of this good feeling, I must say.

I’d also like to give props to my co-writer, Robin. Doing this blog every day is no easy task, especially during a tough losing streak, but Robin stepped up, kept you all entertained and did some great coverage while I took some time off. Heck, if you all just wanted Robin every day, I’d understand – he’s a heck of a guy.

Anyway, enough gushing. I’m back, the Sox are back, the Orioles are still lesser than Boston and it’s time to put together a stretch-drive sprint to get that AL East flag and go from there. Tomorrow afternoon Jason Johnson looks to build on his quality start against Tampa Bay with a win (you hear that, bullpen?), going up against Kris Benson. I’m trying to come up with an Anna Benson joke here, but I think she kinda speaks for herself. GO SOX!!!