Friday, November 10, 2006

Turning Japanese: I really hope not

I have nothing against the country of Japan (hell, I was even an East Asian Studies Major in college… no really).

I have nothing against the culture of greed (why shouldn’t we keep up with the Yankees spending?).

I have a problem with being a moron (a goddamn fiscal idiot).

Why in the world would the Sox blow “between 38 and 45 million dollars” just to TALK TO SOMEBODY??? Please tell me Buster Olney is huffing wasabi.

I read all the comments everyone posted about this Matsuzaka guy and what it would take to get him. I stayed away from the whole thing…Eric said he would “cry” (and he most likely will) but I am gonna go bananaphone crazy. You are going to take an UNPROVEN pitcher, from a league with bad hitting and oversized ballparks and spend a BOZILLION dollars on him ($45 mill to talk, $40 mill+ to sign) and not address the HUGE holes in the end of the rotation, shortstop, right field, bullpen, closer, 2nd base (sorry Dustin) and back up catcher (they may need 3 this year). Why are they PAYING him anyway? Can’t Commodore Perry just send the US fleet over and threaten to blast the hell out of the Tokyo Dome if they don’t hand over Matsuzaka-san for free? Or did Boras already do that?

So break out the kimonos and nori, start throwing out your JD and load up on the saki… cause Daisuke Matsuzaka could be on his way to Boston. Oh, and I think this means we lose the right to bitch about the Yankees spending. Not a big deal though…just like they lost the “1918 chant”, we’ll find something else to use to get on their nerves. Maybe something with Jason Giambi, Carl Pavano and stem cell research…I’ll work on it and let you know.

And for everyone who saw Matt Clement as the biggest mistake by this front office, well how do you say “you ain’t seen nothing yet!” in Japanese?