Tuesday, December 12, 2006

And I-I-I-I-I-I-I Will Always Love Jew!!!

Spring, 2006. It was the golden times for Jewish athletes on the Boston Red Sox; Adam Stern was schooling Team USA by hitting bombs for the Canadians, Kevin Youkilis was about to launch into a, “holy crap, where did he come from?” start to the season and Gabe Kapler…well, the Hebrew Hammer was back on the Red Sox, healthy and ready to smack bombs. For Jewish Red Sox fans like me and Robin, it was like Sandy Koufax was back and playing in Boston. And playing the field instead of pitching.

Who knew then that these happy times wouldn’t last? Stern will be an Oriole next year, used as post-season trade bait to fulfill the obligations to Baltimore for the entirely useless Javy Lopez signing. Youkilis will be back at first, of course, but Kapler…well, 31 years old or not, the Hebrew Hammer will no longer be playing baseball; he’s retiring to take over as manager of the Red Sox Class A Greenville team. Even though I’m sure he’ll do really well as manager (he certainly sounds excited about the new job), it makes me sad – he’s a member of 2004 team; he’s a personality, another Kevin Millar or Lou Merloni or Doug Mirabelli that won’t be back next year. We’ll miss you, Gabe.