Friday, April 20, 2007

Game 14: How Did We Win That One?

Final Score: Boston Red Sox 5, Toronto Blue Jays 3

So our worst starter (now nobody tell Tavarez I called him that… he’d eat me) against the cream of the Bluebird crop: Doc Hallady. Oh mercy me!! I had this penciled in as a big fat 'L' and was happy we were getting out of Toronto. And can you blame me?

Halladay was dealing and the Sox weren’t hitting. It looked like a bad combo.

After a well pitched first 5, the scheduled 6th inning meltdown from Tavarez (don’t let him find me!) looked like the end. Wrap it up, pack it in… done. No way that we can score 2 off the Doc. Well until they pulled him in the 8th. Yeah I have no clue why that happened. He got the 1st out, still looked fresh and then the Jays went to the pen. HUH??

In this confusion, Manny decided that he was JUST warm enough (and maybe his grill sold) so he decided to go yard and tie it with a bomb off Marcum. Add that to Timlin’s crotch grippingly scary but effective work in the 8th, Cora’s miracle triple in the 9th and Pap’s one man save show and that’s ballgame over people. We saunter back to Fenway winners and ready to tackle the Yankee menace.

Before we kick off the “rivalry” festivities here, I would like to talk about something (someone) that has been bothering me. As bad as Coco has been (and he’s been bad) he currently has NOTHING on Pedroia. Call him Wonderboy, Dusty P, Crap Basket or a homeless man’s Mark Loretta… it doesn’t matter. This guy can’t hit a lick. Both he and Crisp are batting a LOFTY .167 but at least Coco can lay down a bunt and steal a base (if he ever manages to get on). Pedroia can’t run, hit for power or hit for contact. He is such a void of talent right now that it is appalling that he is on the big club. Now I know I defended him before to some MAJOR detractors, and I apologize to you people (you know who you are). I was wrong. He flat out sucks and should be benched for Cora. But God knows Francona won’t do that.

Feel free to bring this up later when I am singing the praises to Wonderboy when he is batting .300 because the club stuck with him. I would love to eat crow (well, more crow) on this issue, but right now I don’t think that’s possible. Dustin is awful and I doubt very much that will change with more AB’s.

Ok… that’s my rant. Bring on the Yankees.