Sunday, April 29, 2007

Game 23: Apologia

Final Score: Boston Red Sox 1, New York Yankees 3

Before I begin, let me state for the record that at no time while watching/listening to a Red Sox/Yankees game do I think, "man, I wish the Yankees would just win." That violates the rule and spirit of the rivalry, would get me thrown out of my family and quite frankly, make me worst kind of sunshine patriot.

Now, the risky business: while seeing Wakefield and the heart of the lineup fail in unflattering fashion is never fun, I'm a little relieved our ancient foe isn't completely down for the count. I'll admit to a certain boredom with the most recent Boston/New York contests; an ennui that stems not from pompous overconfidence (it is only April, after all - and no true baseball fan ever forgets that pride goeth before a fall), but from the pining for a good fight. The moniker Greatest Rivalry in Sports, though done practically to death by FOX, ESPN and their ilk, still rings true to the ears of a fan and fans we have seen this rivalry produce as many hard fought contests and nail-bitting, gut-clenching endings as anyone could ask. To see one team fail to hold up their side of the battle, even if that team is not the one I root for, is a fundamental disturbance in the forces of the universe. Save the easy victories for games against the Tampa Bays, Baltimores and Torontos of the world; when the Red Sox and Yankees meet, let it be as a clash of titans.

Ok, I'm done with the heresy. Tavarez, it's time for you and the Freddy Krueger mask that covers your face to terrify some Yankee hitters. Drew, pull out of that mini slump and start hitting the cover off the ball again. Lowell, switch your glove or whatever's making you commit all of those errors this year. Manny, be Manny. Let all fighting men gird themselves in the panoply of war and may mighty Achilles, slayer of Yankees, be among them.