Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Game 101: Sox Win In Seattle (yes you read that right)!!

Final Score: Boston Red Sox 4, Seattle Mariners 0

Oh I’m so happy I can’t feel my arms! Woo Freaking Hoo! For some reason that I cannot explain (except I can and will later) the Red Sox were able to overcome the BLIGHT that is playing in Seattle and edged the mighty (last place) Mariners for a win to stop the skid. I fully expected a down-home West Coast slide to continue late into the week… boy am I pleasantly surprised.

Jon “Cancer Killer” Lester is quickly becoming a linchpin in this staff. He gave 7 and a third strong scoreless innings and put the Sox in a perfect spot to get the win. He did scatter 8 hits (yeesh) but his stuff was solid enough to save our laboring bullpen.

Offensively, there was so much “winning Sox” stuff that happened that harkened back to the win streaks earlier in the season. Manny with a multiple hit game, Jacoby stealing a base, a big RBI hit for a rookie nobody (Lowrie) and a homerun for the captain himself. So much for Tek changing his name to Jason “Twilight” Varitek. The el capitano stepped up and used his unassuming .218 BA to launch a 2 run bomb and give the Sox a lead they would never relinquish. Not all the nostalgia was good… the Sox managed to do the old “leave a bakers dozen on base” routine, but they got the job done.

Another blast from the past was the multiple stress free innings save from Papelbon. The Paps picked up his 29 S with 15 pitches over 1 and a third. No walks, no hits, no runs. Just like the old days.

This is how I like it. This is what I want for the other 61 games this season. Is that too much to ask?