Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pitching Pennies

I'm not sure if I should be happy that they're scheduling West Coast road trips so early in the season so we can get them out of the way, or pissed that they're scheduling West Coast road trips so early in the season and thereby pretty much deny me the opportunity to watch a full game. Today I'm favoring the later: it's pouring rain here in New York and the idea of watching people play on a sun-drenched California field seems particularly enticing. You know what would help, though? If pitching Brad Penny in the role of stopper didn't feel like such a panic move.

I know the Sox brought him on as part of the experiment that if successful could spawn an arms limitation treaty, but I feel like - because he's such an unknown factor with his return from injury - that he's supposed to be a secret weapon the Sox unleash when they're ready to bury an opponent for a sweep. Instead he's trying to be the first Boston pitcher in a handful of games not to give up a mess of runs in a single start.