Saturday, April 12, 2008

Game 12: YANKEES! SOX! FOX!... nuts

Final Score: Boston Red Sox 4, New York Yankees 3

Oh FOX sports... I think you are what I hate most about the “GREATEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS!!!!!111one11!!! blaw blaw” nonsense. You sensationalize everything, your graphics make my head hurt and your announcers must have been born under power lines while eating paint chips. I know it’s been said over and over again, but let me just get it out of the way one more time… Buck and McCarver should be announcing peewee hockey in Brazil.

But enough about the atmosphere… the game itself was a pitching and defensive battle from start to finish. Beckett was awesome and his curve and fastball looked great until he ran out of gas in the 7th. He gave up 3 runs and it wouldn’t have bothered me much if the Red Sox were killing the ball… but they were NOT.

Battered Yankees pitcher Mussina looked like he was ready to be shelled, but he was aided by good defense, bad base running (Tek out by a mile) and Ortiz with men on (he is no longer “Big Papi” but is now known as David “Struggling” Ortiz until further notice). It was Manny who provided the offence for the day. Big solo shot and then an even bigger 2 run double in the triangle. God bless the contract year!

So with a 4-3 lead in the 8th, Oki gets 2 quick outs and then Cabrera walks and Abreu singled… 2 on 2 out… A-rod up… Papelbon in… I’m on the edge of my seat… and…

It freaking starts raining a TON.

Yep the tarps come on and make me wait about 2 hours with that tense situation writhing in the back of my mind. It wasn’t even raining that hard but still we had to suffer through freaking NASCAR warm-ups. I was pissed. A big sushi dinner helped.

Anyway, once the game resumed Paps seemed pretty OK… for a GOD LIKE MAN-CHILD. A-Rod down by way of the K, Giambi and Posada too… that left Cano to weakly ground out to short. Live it… love it. Papelbon is unstoppable. Neither rain nor sleet can hold him back.

Not that I saw every pitch… FOX cut away in the middle of the at-bat to go back to NASCAR. A quick jump to the F/X station was the only thing that prevented me from going on a 6 state killing spree. Yeah, we got lucky.