Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Game 119: The Return of Lester and The Return of Walk-offs

Final Score: Boston Red Sox 2, Tampa Bay 1

Ok before I get into the great comeback details and the grandeur of Jon Lester, I just want to get something out of the way. Please excuse me a moment.

MIKE LOWEL!
COCO!
MIKE LOWEL!
COCO!
MIKE LOWEL!

COCO!
WOOOOOOO BABY!
IT’S SOOOOO GOOD!!

Ahem… thank you for that.

I know it was only the Rays, but Lester looked as good as I have EVER seen him. Low on the walks, got ahead of hitters and listened to every word Tek said. Maybe it was the OVERPOWERING THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE he got upon entry, but he looked mighty fine. He allowed just one run in that first inning and otherwise it was a spotless day.

It’s just too bad Scott Kazmir tossed near perfect ball and our collective salads for 6 innings. I was freaked out happy when he didn’t come out in the 7th, but it hardly mattered cause another mediocre nearly shut us down again. Some bad calls (another low strike calling ump), a bad bunt and a KILLER double play almost led to me to my window ledge. I’m just going by our track record and when I look at Delcarman, Timlin, and Gagne and I see some late inning runs being tacked on.

I guess I need to look again. Delcarman scared me… until Timlin came in a slammed the door on the 8th like it owned him money. Bedlam. Biggest strikeout of his season by far.

Then the REAL test. Eric “I make Robin’s eye twitch” Gagne for the 9th. The sounds you heard when he took the mound was thousands of Sox fans gnashing their teeth and preparing to rip him to shreds. So he did the exact opposite of what we thought… and struck out the side. Mayhem. Yeah there was a double mixed in, but it was near redemption (but not quite).

Then, like a bolt form the blue… down 0-1 in the 9th… Mike “LOL” Lowell hit one into the black. Pandemonium. Now it’s a tie game and for the first time… I think we can win this one. That’s depressing. Remember when NO lead was insurmountable? Now they’re 2-41 when trailing in the 9th. Sad days indeed.

Well actually TODAY wasn’t really sad. Tek hit a double that was THIIIIIIIIIS close to being a walk off homer and then Coco (who I full out man love now) knocked him home with the game winner. Chaos. Nuff Said.